Saturday, May 27, 2006

Old Stuff

I love Old Stuff. I come by it honestly as my mother was an antique collector. I collect a variety of vintage items, particularly those from the 20s-40s. There are the vintage tablecloths, tea towels, pillowcases, aprons, gloves, hats and hat boxes, floral tole trays, bird prints, Franciscan Desert Rose china and so much more. What does that have to do with sewing??

Well, I particularly love vintage fabrics, trims and buttons. I try to incorporate them into my designs as often as I can. I have 3 huge Rubbermaid containers full of vintage tablecloths, fabrics, pillowcases, embroidered linens and such that I hope someday will become adorable children's wear. Because I can't bear cutting into such treasures, I only use textiles that have some imperfection or damage, dodging such when laying out my designs. The really good stuff I save for my personal home decorating use.

Currently I am working on an adorable little girl's "picnic set." It is made from a 40s era tablecloth with a rose motif. There is a darling barn jacket made from the tablecloth with a matching 50s styled crop top to wear underneath. Perky gingham shorts with red rickrack trim complete the ensemble. I'll post a picture when I get it done!

Next, I hope to pull out an embroidered ladies sweater from the fifties. Cream boiled wool with lavish embroidered burgundy flowers. I plan to restyle it into a little girl's bolero jacket and pair it with a burgundy taffeta party dress with, as a nod to its 50s beginnings, a crinoline underskirt.

Then there is the gorgeous embroidered dresser scarf that is screaming to become a side-tied pinafore. And the bluebird pillowcase that needs to be made into a tote. And the vintage rayon polka dot fabric that would make a great pair of wide-legged cropped pants. Then there's the barkcloth with a future as a cropped jean jacket.... Ah, vintage textiles. So much history, not enough time.

No comments: