I just finished a set. It had several incarnations before it took its final form below. The little cropped top originally had a set of narrow double ruffles. However, they were so narrow and so full that they ended up sticking straight out like one of those really stiff ballet tutus. NOT the effect I was hoping for. Even top-stitching those babies down had no effect. So with the aid of my handy-dandy seam ripper, off they came. Next I tried just one ruffle, a little wider this time. Still didn't like the look. On such a full and hippy skirt not even a thin-as-a-rail toddler needs that much bulk on their bum. So again, out with the seam ripper and off with the ruffle. I settled on a tailored band. The third time's a charm because this time I was happy. The band sitting atop the skirt almost gave the appearance of an old-fashioned vintage apron. Serendipity!