Friday, June 27, 2008

So....What's That About?



I decided to make a Key Lime Pie today. I made one while Mom and Dad were visiting. It was good, but not as spectacular as I remember the Key Limes we had when vacationing in Florida as a teen. I wanted a better recipe. Then I remembered that I had two southern cookbooks, one written by Florida residents and one from New Orleans' fab cooks. I figured that would be the go-to source for a truly authentic Key Lime pie. Would you believe neither book had such a recipe???? What's that about????

I feel betrayed. I want an explanation from you southern readers....(as well as a knock-out recipe!)

Charity

4 comments:

Meg said...

Never ate Key Lime pie when I lived in the south or southwest, but moved to NY and lo and behold, it's big here. My DH can't get enough of it. I don't think of it as a southern recipe at all.

NebraskaNative said...

Key Lime pie is more of a Floridian dessert, especially in the Florida Keys, rather than a Southern thing, or "thang" as it would be pronounced in those parts! :)

The most essential element to an authentic Key Lime pie is the use of proper key limes. Key limes are a little difficult to come by but well worth the effort. The limes generally stocked by supermarkets are Persian limes. Persian limes are great for gin & tonics but NOT for Key Lime pie! You will only be disappointed. We had an abundance of lovely key limes in our African backyard...ah, the times I wished I still had that tree! If you cannot find proper key limes, you can purchase the juice in bottles. It's a good alternative to not having fresh key limes.

I've got two great and highly sought after recipes. Would you like me to post them here or email them to you?

Cheers,
A

jonrock53@mtaonline.net said...

Hey, this is kind of funny, one Alaskan giving another a Key Lime pie recipe. I grew up in Memphis, lived in Florida. The "real" pie there is really sweet and custardy and if you google it I'm sure you can find a recipe with a cooked filling. Here's my Mother's, it's lighter and easier.
8 oz cream cheese
1/2 cup fresh lime juice
1 can sweetened condensed milk
4 oz cool whip
Graham cracker shell
Beat cream cheese till fluffy, add condensed milk and lime juice. Fold in Cool Whip. Pour into shell and chill. I slice a lime and cut the slices in half and stick them around the edge.

Kat said...

When you discover a darn good Key Lime Pie recipe, post it :) . DH is always bothering me to make Key Lime. I make one heck of a good blueberry pie, but Key Lime eludes me.