Monday, April 28, 2008

Quilting Again!

I haven't quilted in forever and the bug has bitten me big time. A little extra time fell into my lap today because my sewing students weren't feeling well and needed to postpone today's lesson. So...I got to do some quilting! I started a little quilt for an orphanage in Mexico, Nana's House. I had been wanting to make a lavender and grey quilt, but grey quilting fabric proved to be quite elusive here in my Valley. So I opted for lavender and mocha instead as I had a large supply of both in my stash. This will not be a "matchy-matchy" quilt, but a scrappy quilt where I throw in everything I have in the lavendar/mocha colorway. I am doing a simple rail fence pattern, but will then applique a large contempo-styled flower and vine motif atop the rail fence background. I got all the strips cut today and 16 blocks sewn. I will need about 120 blocks to make the approx. twin size quilt I have planned.

Fabrics to be Used - don't have border prints picked out yet


A start on the blocks


UPDATE: It's 10:30pm and I'm heading to bed, but I got a total of about 60 blocks done today. Almost halfway there. I think I'll just keep making blocks until I've used up all my purple quilting stash. Perhaps I'll have enough to make two quilts. I hope to finish the rest of the blocks tomm. and start assembling the quilt. But I also need to finish up some 100 Projects Skirts, so I'll have to play it by ear. 'Night all!

Charity

4 comments:

Paula Gardner said...

You've found another worthy charity. Your name suits you.

Unknown said...

The gal who started this is an acquaintance from an online homeschool community I've been part of for more than a dozen years. She just opened Nana's House about a month or so ago. I hope I can do 3 or 4 quilts. They take a lot longer than a simple skirt. :( :(

Paula Gardner said...

I am a total sucker for little girls. If I had stash fabrics, I would probably do a blanket. Since that isn't the case, I'll probably send $$$ instead.

Denise said...

Tepic, Nayiret, Mexico is where Tim, Candace and I (plus 25 others from our church in Ontario) went 4-5 years ago for a two week mission trip.

I'm glad your dad gave me your site; it's great! Of course this is coming from your non-sewing, jealous sister-in-law who can't do the things you do...but nonetheless, great!