Sunday, March 09, 2008

Vintage Pattern Sunday

I have been inspired by some vintage pattern websites I discovered recently. I love vintage patterns. The more contemporary ones remind me of my childhood and teen years. The older ones recall a ladylike era where fashion, femininity and glamor were synonymous. I have a fairly large vintage pattern collection and thought it would be fun to share it with my readers. So I'm going to implement "Vintage Pattern Sunday." Each Sunday I'll share one of the patterns from my vintage stash. And perhaps I'll do the occasional give-away. :)

Below is a Jane Tise pattern. This was a designer that was popular during my teen years , along with John Kloss, Betsey Johnson, Willi Smith and others. While this is a design that is too young and too bare for me to wear now, I still love the style. It is reminiscent of something I'd wear as a girl. I found this pattern at a local thrift store for ten cents. :)



Not patterns I own, but other wonderful Jane Tise Designs...





This one I remember having and sewing as a teen! I soooo wish I had kept it or had a photo of it. I can't even remember the fabric I used, but I do remember the pattern.









And a final tidbit...Did you know Jane Tise was one of the founders of Esprit?

Charity

7 comments:

Sigrid said...

Lovely to see all those pictures of vintage patterns. I do own a few old magazines, and it's such fun browsing through them occassionally and remembering the style of my first-sewn clothes!

Paula Gardner said...

How similar are those pants included in the pattern fourth from the bottom to Simplicity 3686? They were cute then and they're still cute now, but I'm not really ready for clothes that were trendy when I was already an adult to be trendy again. :(

Sharon Sews said...

I always loved Jane Tise also, although I mostly choose Betsey Johnson patterns when I sewed. Isn't it amazing how you can remember sewing with a pattern even though it was decades ago!

Unknown said...

Those are very similar, Paula. A bit of a different waistband and that's about it. I think the general fashion rule is that if you wore it the first time around, you don't get to take the second ride....

Unknown said...

Sigrid - Thanks for stopping by. I recently discovered your blog and added it to my link list!

Sharon - I adore Betsey Johnson. I have a large collection of "inspiration pics" on my hard drive and Betsey Johnson has her very own folder. :) I should do a Betsey Johnson Day post some time!

Paula Gardner said...

Well, I wouldn't have worn them the first time around...I was too busy being a frumpy, dumpy mother. I bought the Simplicity pattern, but I'm not sure if I will make it for myself. I'm sure that at least one of my daughters will like it.

Meg said...

Made that Butterick 5284 way back when...