I'm determined to finish up some UFOs before allowing myself to start a new project. The #1 project I had targeted for today is my red peacoat-styled jacket. It only needs the six buttonholes on the front and the sleeve hems. So I've got two buttonholes done and they are driving me crazy. This fabric is a red stretch twill by Liz Claiborne. It's of excellent quality, but it was a bad choice for this garment. It has too much spandex in it which gives it more drape than is productive in a structured jacket. It drapes more like a shirt on the body. And the buttonholes are stretching as I sew them. They end up buckling and wavy. :( It's really discouraging. The area under the buttonholes is interfaced and they are supported by the facing and its interfacing as well. So I know it's not that the area is insufficiently underlined. Hhmmmrrrphhh! It's making me really grumpy. I'm using very large buttons that will hide the buttonholes, but it still bugs me. The whole jacket is bugging me. It looks homemade to me despite the care I took in double-topstitching, Hong Kong finishes and other RTW details. It's times like these that I doubt the time and expenditure invested in sewing. I really feel like chucking this thing!
This one did not have a happy ending. I could not get the buttonholes to turn out right because of the stretch factor. And I just could not resolve myself to the overall drape of the jacket. I knew that it would forever bug me and I decided to chuck it. I feel guilty about it. It seems irresponsible, but I know it will just sit in my closet unworn. So I can get rid of it a few years from now when I realize I'm never going to wear it or I can bite the bullet and get rid of it now. So...it's outta here. And I have to admit that right on the heels of guilt, I feel relief. I simply was not happy with the jacket.