Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Should I or shouldn't I?

At today's antique store closing sale I found the most delightful antique shelf unit. It was large enough to replace a kitchen cupboard, but is a very primitive open shelf style. Lots of cut-outs and gingerbread-y stuff. VERY thick, chippy, super-distressed robin's egg blue paint. And it's only $60.00. So now I have the very scary decision of do I buy it and take down a traditional cupboard and replace it with this? Will it look odd if I have the rest of the kitchen remaining in traditional cabinetry?. Current cabinets are in an oak finish, but I want to paint them an ivory color and then give them an antique glaze. I think they would then have the same feel as the cottage open-air shelf unit I'm considering. Of course the shelf unit would be edged in aged crochet which would also tie them in color to the rest of the cabinets. And they'd be filled with vintage pottery and dishes in pink, blue and cream.

What do you think? Should I or shouldn't I? I have to decide soon as stuff is flying out of the antique store....

Charity

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do it! Your idea sounds heavenly. As long as you keep your original cabinet that you remove, fairly intact... if you don't like it, you can always put the original cabinet back!

Sharon said...

Buy the cabinet and try using it in other locations to see how it looks prior to removing one of you installed cabinets. You might find it's a perfect fit elsewhere in your home. If you love it purchase it, you will always be able to find room for something you love.

Carol D said...

Hi, just found your blog today. I have natural finish oak cabinets in my kitchen along 2 walls. I took out my oak pantry and replaced it with a large 4 door hutch from the 1880's. It is white. slightly distressed. I LOVE it and so does my husband. If it makes YOU happy, do it!